Saturday, March 19, 2011

Kidane Mehret and Sisters of Charity


On my agenda is to spend some time at two other orphanages which care for kids with HIV. I chose these two because we have kids who have come home to Colorado from these care centers. I am excited to learn more of what life was like for the kids who came home before they got here. I will be meeting with the nurses and directors and providing some teaching based on case studies of children who have come to live in Colorado.

I am hoping that we will learn from each other as much as we can to make the transition better and maybe just maybe by providing a medical snapshot of the kids after they come home they can see how what happens in Ethiopia has a great affect on how they fare medically long term. I know that they probably know that is the case- but when you can see it on paper- I think it helps. I am bringing Bandaids, many many pill boxes, vitamins and some other medications.

You can check out the website for Kidane Mehret here. The other one, Sisters of Charity, doesn't seem to have a website but from what I have heard they care for 300 HIV + children and have just started allowing families to adopt these children. I have a new patient who lived there and I am really curious to see what its like.

No comments:

Post a Comment