Monday, March 21, 2011

We Made It!

We made it- its a beautiful day in Addis. We are with our friend
Bekah and recovering from the lengthy but enjoyable flight. Aside
from losing a crown on the first of three legs, everything you can
imagine went so smoothly. We were on a brand new and very nice
Ethiopian Air plane which Michael loved (lots of gadgets) and we had
the whole row to ourselves which I loved. The visa and customs went
so smoothly. We didn't have to pay for any of our luggage and after
my trip to Romania several years ago when I lost all my luggage for
the entire two weeks, I always consider it a minor miracle when all my
bags arrive on the other side. So all 4 50 pounds bags with mostly
donations and items people requested made it...including a tube of
brewers yeast for someone who is making his own beer. I will be
requesting a sample in exchange for being his mule.

Michael was so curious about everything... how many seats
were on the plane, how big was first class, why did he feel like his own cool seat was first class, will he see animals, what is the fastest plane, how many engines, how do planes work, what if we crash, and many many many time change questions. He is now playing with our friends son in the country where he was born. He asked what the burning smell was. I would imagine that has some memory for him. Admittedly I was a bit teary eyed when we were in line for our Visa... remembering the last time we stood in that line and how much our lives have changed in 5 years. I was waiting for everyone to ask questions about what we were doing- Michael is still an Ethiopian citizen and so I wondered how people would react. No one asked a thing. I have never gone through customs where I am not even asked a single question. Nothing. She stamped everything and just said "Bye." I was fine with that.


I look forward to seeing the folks at Addis Kiddan later today- they
were the midwives in our adoption and it will be fun to see them.
Tomorrow the work, which is also fun, begins.

4 comments:

  1. God is watching over this journey, Em! So glad your trip went great... blog daily, so many people excited to get updates. Sending my love to you and Michael, from Rochester to Addis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all his airplane questions. Your little Ethipian engineer. So glad the trip was smooth. Sending you both lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for a safe and fruitful trip for all of you! Loving the updates!

    ReplyDelete